Creativity is one of the newest sought after attributes. However the job-hunter must balance getting creative without getting carried away!
Planning obvious “chance meetings” and coming across as if the president might not be effective, however you will find imaginative “foot in the door” thoughts, and here are a few. The notion is to be unique, but not weird.
• Find a temporary job with the business which you’d like to work for via an agency or the HR department. A six-week mission, conducted to near-perfection, can easily turn into a contract or permanent position. Accessible to not only real positions, but also in professional offices and industrial function, it is an excellent approach to weed toxic working surroundings from the list of favorite employers.
• Leverage an inside connection to property an introduction into the hiring supervisor. Sell this person on your credentials and appreciate, and he or she’ll subsequently sell HR recruiting team as well!
• rather than sending in a resume for a posted job opening, send your latest top-notch performance inspection, a job profile, or your professional biography. Strategically written, these documents share the information in a fresh new way.
• Send your application package via overnight courier, or by fax. Inexplicably, occasionally changing up your game reaps new outcomes.
• Do not dismiss freelance or consulting opportunities.
• in the event that you really have your target set on a major, big company that is difficult to enter, try getting in with one of the firm’s subsidiaries or a supplier. You’ll make insider connections, which you can leverage to meet the right hiring manager, with time.
Competition is tough, and the ordinary job hunt now can take half a year, even more. The real key to getting your foot in the doorway, is frequently persistence, plain and simple.
• If you are super interested in work, call the HR section. Be friendly, conversational, and telephone frequently. Be ready to speak value with relevant-to-the-position preceding accomplishments.
• If you are at a higher level, be more imaginative with your resume’s content. Add a graph that illustrates your impressive sales numbers, listing of generating savings, or other quantifiable achievement. Or create a flow chart that shows visually the significant world players you have worked for, and also the prominent positions you have held. No one ever said the restart needed to be dull, or should not deviate from the norm.
Whatever you do, do not cross that fine line between persistence and imagination, and annoyance and bizarre! Mailing in a sock having a notice that clarifies “Now that my sock is in the doorway, I’d like to receive my ‘foot in the door’…” is very likely to be met not with respect, but with doors shut and locked. Preventing chocolates is not likely to find anything but a toss in the garbage.
The best advice is still the tried and true: a strategic resume and cover letter, and media.
Published in several American and Canadian career publications, Stephanie also writes a weekly livelihood article for a local daily newspaper.